Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A 366 day photo adventure - August 2012

And so begins the eighth month!

2012.08.01
After school this afternoon I looked at a couple of sites on the internet about taking photos into the setting sun. By the time we walked out onto the rock platform at Don Heads the sun was about to disappear. I took a few shots trying out the techniques and I did get a couple of suns sitting at the base of the cliff with the star effect coming out from it ... but I've got a fair way to go before I show one on here. After sunset, I tried some water shots on the rock platform.


f/22, 1 sec (tripod but not remote release), ISO 200, Spot focus,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.08.02
My experimenting tonight did not work! Watching the Olympics as well as school have been time consuming, and the rain didn't help either! :-) It was very late when I tried some water splashes, but holding a jug of water over a container with one hand, working the shutter release with the other and meanwhile looking through the eyepiece is stuff for  contortionists and I am not one!! Also, the light was not good enough to have fast enough speeds for sharp splashes. I had fun changing this on Picasa with a filtered black and white and giving it a border, but it is still not a good shot!


f/2.4, 1/250 sec, ISO 6400, 60mm macro lens,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB: Tungsten
2012.08.03
We spent the late afternoon at Lillico Beach. I had my macro lens on, but think I'd have been better this evening to have the kit lens and the nd filter. Although I tried shhoting in RAW, my photos did not have the depth of colour that was around at the time as the sun was setting but I have been able to tweak this a bit in Picasa and then given it a border.

f/25, 1/2 sec (tripod), ISO 100, 60mm macro lens,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.08.04
Steve and I went for a late afternoon walk around Pig Island this afternoon. We left late afternoon when the sun was shining brightly and finished after sunset. I'm sharing the beautiful reflection in the purpose built channel of the Mersey River at Bells Parade at the beginning of the walk, and a sunset shot over the river near the end of our walk. It was a lovely day. I had the camera set at RAW+Fine. I have not had time to fiddle with more than one or two images yet and these two are the "Fine" versions of the image, not the RAW image.

f/13, 1/40 sec, ISO 100, 18mm focal length,
Spot metering, Aperture Priority, WB: Auto
f/20, 1/25 sec, ISO 100, 22mm focal length,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto

2012.08.05
It was wet, windy and cold so I decided on an indoor shot tonight. My wonderful husband had preached two great sermons today, both of which brought in the message of Psalm 51, so I decided to try a small aperture, spot focus using my macro lens on the first verse. The one problem was that my Bible is written on and old, and so the page was not crisp and clear and it picked up markings from the other side of the thin paper. I gave it a "glow" in Picasa which lightened the stains through the paper, then vignetted it in red and gave it a polaroid frame.


f/2.8, 1/125 sec, ISO 640, 60mm macro lens,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB: Tungsten lighting
2012.08.06
I have a lot to learn about how to take snow photos! I had a few decent ones, but a number of washouts when we went for a drive up to some snow this afternoon. For a few I put the camera onto the automatic Snow programme, and this is one of those shots. I did this to find out what aperture and ISO it used. If you'd like to check out some others I took then look as this: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150944966746319.408897.693971318&type=3&l=02adf6f6c2

f/10, 1/250 sec, ISO 280, 60mm macro lens,
Matrix metering, Snow programme setting, WB: Auto
2012.08.07
Between rain today and visitors tonight, I found it difficult, for the first time, to get motivated to take a shot for this day ... and this, I think, shows! I had the idea of using the four things I have that were given to me by my uncles when I was born, but I am not creative in the placing of things unfortunately. I found an old doily that had belonged to my Grandmother and placed them on that, but arranging is just not my forte. I also needed a reflector or I should have used flash to counteract the shadows.


f/11, 1/3 sec (tripod), ISO 100, 22mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Tungsten
2012.08.08
We went down to the local beach after sunset today. The tide must have been a "king tide" and there was a large surf running. The steps down to the beach were covered in debris that had been tossed up and I had to grab the tripod at one stage and lift it high. My shoes and jeans got rather wet but it was fun. I was trying the variable nd filter at various stages and mostly used shutter priority with differing time shutter speeds. This one was rather special and i felt it needed a border to highlight it.


f/22, 30 secs (tripod), ISO 100, 24mm focal length,
Centre-weighted average, Shutter priority, WB: Auto
2012.08.09
I had to fit the shots into  a few minutes before an appointment tonight and, not having time to really find a good position, the lack in the shots show!


f/22, 5 sec (tripod), ISO 100, 40mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.08.10
I had some fun tonight taking long exposures of Steve moving his hand ... problem was that his neck hurt from trying to hold his head still! Anyway, I learned quite a bit from it about movement! I then took some portraits of him watching the Olympics with very minimal light in the room. I changed this to B&W in Picasa and then placed a border around it to frame it.


f/11, 1/2 sec (tripod), ISO 400, 55mm focal length,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB:Tungsten
2012.08.11
I had a fiddle on Picasa with one of the birds I took this afternoon. I realised that I was a trifle shaky when I took this as it was not fully sharp, but I enjoyed the framing of a cropped Mr Kooka.

f/5.6, 1/1250 sec, ISO 400, 300mm focal length,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB:Sunny
2012.08.12
We went down to the bridge over the Mersey for the setting sun and watched a myriad of colours change rapidly as the sun set and in the ensuing twilight as we came back down to the river bank. I decided to try a frame around this one, and it is interesting to see the difference between the two - the frame seems to complete the shot. This must have been the last shot I took with the white balance on Sunny because I changed it to Auto when it was getting dark.


f/11, 1/5 sec (tripod) ISO 100, 55mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.08.13
We had a lovely walk to the bottom of Leven Canyon today. The water was roaring through the canyon rather ferociously after all the snow of last week, some of which still remains on Black Bluff ready to make its way down the Leven River. I had to be content with photos from the bridge over the canyon. I took some at speed to show the pounding of the water and some with the nd8 filter on, this being one of them.


f/22, 2 sec (tripod), ISO 100, 55mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.08.14
Having spent the day flat out doing housework, today's photo came down to taking a shot tonight of the flowers I had picked for the table from the garden this afternoon. I didn't use a flash, just the lighting in the dining room.


f/3.2, 1/50 sec, ISO 2000, 60mm macro lens,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB: Tungsten
2012.08.15
Before school I glanced outside to see water drops all along the clothes line, so I grabbed the camera and put on the macro lens with a spot focus and a narrow depth of field before heading out into the gloomy morning (the sun had not risen yet). I took a couple, but the line was too high above my head and so I decided to look at the drops on the broccoli leaves. This is one and you can see the lens hood reflected in the water drops. It has been slightly sharpened in Picasa, although the original had very clear droplets too.

f/5, 1/800 sec, ISO 2000, 60 mm macro lens,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB:Auto
2012.08.16
There were very heavy downpours of rain interspersed with sunshine this afternoon. I tried an experiment which did not work when I got home from school late. Although it was still raining at the end of a shower, the sun was shining in a very mellow fashion on the back vegie garden. I took a shot with my mobile phone and emailed it to myself to see if that worked and then I took a quick shot with the camera. My intention was to compare them, but unfortunately the phone photo is still floating in cyberland somewhere! This photo needed a different aperture as the gum tree in the back is not a clear as I'd have liked (as well as being affected by the rain), but it gives some indication of the mellow light, even though I forgot to change the white balance to sunny. I tweaked this in  Picasa before adding the border, but even so, it is a boring photo.


f/8, 1/50 sec, ISO 400, 48mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.08.17
The sky on the way home from school was amazing and so I shot up to the Bluff Lighthouse  after getting my camera. As can be seen, there was a band of exceedingly dark cloud over the water which itself was an eerie colour. Unfortunately I have a white patch above the lighthouse where the sky was still light (but not for long). I changed from matrix metering to spot metering and got far better balance as can be seen in the second photo where the clouds had come closer in to shore, and so today I can say I really learned something.


f/13, 1/25 sec, ISO 100, 18mm focal length
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB:Auto

f/22, 1/5 sec, ISO 100, 18mm focal length,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.08.18
I had a bit of a wander through our front garden with the macro lens this afternoon ... an enjoyable time in the sunshine. I'm sure this lavender is not supposed to be covered in flowers in winter, but it is. I gave this a small dusky pink vignette on Picasa.


f/7.1, 1/125 sec, ISO 400, 60mm macro lens,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.08.19
After church at Don this afternoon we went to our friends' farm as they have a wonderful old piece of farm machinery on the hill behind the homestead and I was wanting to use it for some portraits of the two of us. I used the remote on a 2 second release which gave me time to hide the remote from view. I had a lot of fun with this and then more fun this evening as I have framed many and changed some to black and white in Picasa.


f/11, 1/13 sec, ISO 100, 60mm macro lens,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny

f/22, 1/2 sec, ISO 100, 60mm macro lens,
Matrix metering,  Aperture priority, WB: Auto


2012.08.20
The sun came out late this morning after a good shower of rain. I loved the raindrops congregated on the daffodils, and so I could not resist putting one in for today.


f/16, 1/250 sec, ISO 400, 60 mm Macro lens,
Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.08.21.
I am part of a facebook forum on flower photography and this week's theme is "pink". My garden is devoid of pink at the moment [the peach and nectarine trees are just starting to blossom, but not far enough to give the effect of pink yet]. However, we are very fortunate to have a wonderful, very tall camellia on the other side of the fence and is my outlook from the kitchen! I vignetted, framed and wrote the text using Picasa 3, all to fit the theme.


f/11, 1/100 sec, ISO 400, 300mm focal length,
Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.08.22
After Parent/Teacher interviews at school it was really late, but while Steve went for a run I took the camera onto the rocks near the Bluff for a few after sunset shots. No nd filter was needed to smooth the water tonight! I have fiddled with this, doing some editing as well as a frame on Picasa.


f/22, 30 sec (tripod), ISO 100, 18mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB:Auto
2012.08.23
There was a storm brewing after school and so we decided to go to a near-by beach and find some birds before it hit. It was incredible to watch this storm brew out over the Strait as it was one of the eeriest ones I have ever experienced. We just made it back to the car before the hail and rain began to belt down. This is accurate colour and has not been edited whatsoever (as is the case with most of my shots).


f/8, 1/40 sec, ISO 800, 55mm focal length,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB:Auto
2012.08.24
Today a local man ran from Launceston to Devonport to raise money for a three year old who has cancer. Many of the students from the local High School have supported him as he has done long runs for different children with cancer over the past few years. This shot is with a lass I used to teach at the end of the 100 kms. He looks fresh as a daisy having run that large distance in approximately 10 and a half hours, while she had spent most of the day collecting money along the way. I congratulate Tim for his generous heart and all those who helped him along the way! We'd had lots of rain during the afternoon but it held off as Tim, and those who ran the final bit with him, came into Devonport. 

f/8, 1/100 sec, ISO 400, 55mm focal length,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB:Auto
2012.08.25
We had been away all day and there had been a lot of rain, but as we came home there was a burst of sunshine, so I grabbed the camera to take some flower shots. I kept my 55-300 kit lens on as I didn't really have time to get my macro lens as the clouds were coming back in rapidly. First blossom on my dwarf peach.


f/5.6, 1/320 sec, ISO 500, 300mm focal length,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB:Sunny
2012.08.26
As we drove in to Mole Creek for this afternoon's service we felt the temperature drop quite a long way from what it had been on the coast. The snow on the hills was rather pretty, especially with the yellow of the wattle that is blooming. Under the sun there it looked rather pretty despite the cloud that hovered around the higher peaks. For the first time for ages I had forgotten to check the aperture etc and had just taken a shot ... but I put that down to the fact that I had only a few seconds to grab a shot and go inside. Despite my forgetfulness, I actually like the scene.


f/5.6, 1/2000 sec, ISO 400, 55mm focal length,
matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.08.27
I am not obsessed with the cold and the wet, but I have not had many options to shoot with the weather at the moment! This was very, very late this afternoon and it was very, very cold and dark clouds abounded (but for a little while had ceased to leak). Because it was so dark I put the ISO up quite high. Text added in Picasa.


f/5, 1/60 sec, ISO 1000, 60mm macro lens,
Metering: centre-weighted average, Aperture priority, WB:Auto
2012.08.28
After a discussion at Camera House I decided that, even though it was late, I'd have to put into practice a suggestion that the resident salesman/photographer/teacher gave me about depth of field for portraits after he'd looked at the ones I'd just had printed from 19th August. So Steve became my bunny and I have a range of facial expressions, but I really like this one with the sparkling eyes.


f/5.6, 1/50 sec, ISO 400, 300mm focal length,
matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB:Auto
2012.08.29
We had some sun at the end of the day and so spent an enjoyable half hour around the Bluff Lighthouse, despite the cold wind. The waves were crashing heavily on the coastline and then the sun began to set behind the clouds. I took some shots of the Lighthouse in silhouette, which effect I really like.


f/13, 1/200 sec, ISO 100, 58mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB:Sunny



2012.08.30
On the penultimate day of the month I'm posting a weed! Walking along a track beside the beach at the end of Teatree Lane today I couldn't help noticing the infestation of weeds. However, they were rather pretty purples and whites, being in flower as it is nearly spring, and so I took some shots - this is of the onion weed.


f/5.6, 1/100 sec, ISO 100, 300mm focal length,
Spot focus and spot metering,
Aperture priority, WB:Auto
I was also intrigued by some of the plant life growing among the rocks and pebbles on the beach [it really should be called Pebbly Beach] and so I am sharing a second shot that also had both spot focus and spot metering. Because I am trying to get the effect of blurring behind and the key subject being the thing one's eyes are drawn towards, I have been working with the spot focus and it seems to have worked.

f/5.6, 1/320 sec, ISO 400, 300mm focal length,
Spot focus and spot metering,
Aperture priority, WB:Auto


2012.08.31
We had a lovely long stroll along the Mersey at Latrobe, albeit very slowly because we were finding plenty of things to shoot, when it was definitely time to go home. The sun had just set and the cold night temperature was falling rapidly. We were nearly back to the car walking along the road when I spotted a face in a tree. Obviously the council had had to cut back a branch that was intruding onto the road. Other than the fact that I forgot to change my white balance, still having it set to 'sunny', I loved the shot just for the amusement of the subject matter. I was also rather fortunate that I could hold the camera steady when it was a rather slower shutter speed - normally, because of my shaky arms, I have to use a tripod, but I didn't have it with me. As we drove home the 'blue moon' [a second full moon in a calendar month] was rising, so I added text, caption and border to the shot just for fun.


f/5.6, 1/20 sec, ISO 400, 220mm focal length,
Centre-weighted average, Aperture priority, WB:Sunny

This month has been a difficult month to shoot a photo a day because of the rain, the cold and the late afternoons after work. However, tomorrow is Spring so it really only can get better weatherwise. Today also marks two thirds of the way through this challenge - I wonder what the final third holds?


4 comments:

  1. Val, you are so clever and dedicated, what a challenge. My favourites are (as you might expect) the still life of your babyhood gifts, and, the psalm 51 shot, so beautiful.
    I always enjoys your shots on FB, you're an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting rather good, really. I like too many to single out, but I will say the first is awesome. Also like the water mirrored one. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete