Friday, October 15, 2010

Going down like flies

During the penultimate week of this short term break from retirement, I have had many of the class sick ... in fact seven were absent today. What a quiet way to end the week - children working efficiently and well, enthusiastically taking on board all that they can, seeking new knowledge and making connections to things already learned! Being a teacher these days might be tougher than when I started but the joys never cease.

A 7 year old said to me today, "Mrs W, what is half an ellipse called?" Of course, I have no idea, but thought that if a semi-circle is half of a circle then a semi-ellipse just might be half an ellipse ... but told him to write 'half an ellipse' just to be on the safe side ;-). Same seven year old also told me that I had left "specialised" off our shape word wall because "A square is a 'specialised' rectangle"! Teaching is a joy ... and a privilege.

My "baby" turned 27 yesterday - his dad and I sang a very croaky "Happy Birthday" over the phone. At times like this Mum misses those to whom I have given birth, but I am privileged to have all bar one of my children living within a four hour drive of us - my heart goes out to all those Mums who have lost a child.

Winter returned with a vengeance last night. The breeze blowing through the slightly opened window is decidedly chilly. The rain has been steady after a massive overnight dumping, but this evening there was an amazing sky - in the east layers of purple black clouds interspersed with layers of orange as the sun was setting in the west but in front of the layered effect were the two ends of a rainbow totally fragmented with the colours of the spectrum decidedly split apart ... eerie but awesome.

The weekend approaches, there is much schoolwork to be done but this evening is a quiet restful one thinking not of work but of those I love in far flung places.

No comments:

Post a Comment