Thursday, November 1, 2012

A 366 day photo adventure - November 2012

The last sixth of the year begins! Come with me as I continue to explore this wonderful journey called "learning about photography by immersing oneself"!

2012.11.01
One of the things I have learned to do so far is to be more observant! One day a couple of months ago I began to look at old chimneys and today I went to one of our streets that we drove down a couple of days ago and I noted that I'd have to go back and shoot the chimneys on the old houses there. Having done that we were on another street heading to the bush reserve so Steve could take some photos when we approached a wonderful set of chimneys. Each chimney pot is capped with something different and the "Blackbirdus Metallicus" on one was intriguing. I hope you enjoy this shot as much as I did taking it.


f/11, 1/640 sec, ISO 160, 165 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture Priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.02
Steve suggested that we go out to Hawley this afternoon so I could have some practice with the wide-angle lens. We hadn't been there since I got this lens. I think I fiddled with the ADL settings too much as I had a few a bit more washed out than I would like. More to learn! It is the weekend so maybe I can find some tutorials on the Internet to learn from in the next couple of days. I confess that I had to straighten this slightly in Picasa as I misjudged the line of the distant Asbestos Range for the far shoreline through the viewfinder!


f/22, 1/60 sec, ISO 100, 10 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.03
I had taken some macro shots in the garden this morning as we were going to a Craft Fair in Latrobe this afternoon [which was lovely] and so I didn't put my camera in the car. Steve did however, and as we went to Warrawee after the fair I am so glad he carries his old Nikon D3100 in the boot for emergency usage ... today I had that emergency need! We thoroughly enjoyed our wander at Warrawee and later pulled into the lay-by beside the bridge at Latrobe itself. This is where I took this shot. There were plenty of ducks sitting in the grass which the Council has obviously allowed to grow with the numbers of dailies present. This shot reminds me of a children's picture book illustration, but I do not remember which one! I had put the WB on sunny because it was fine, even though the sun was not out.


f/11, 1/320 sec, ISO 1600, 220 mm focal length,
Centre-weighted average metering,
Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.04
Late this afternoon/early evening we went for a lovely long walk through the southern end of the Don Reserve. As we walked along the western side of the Don River a fish jumped, disturbing the reflections. I grabbed a couple of shots of the distortions and as they looked rather Monet-esque I framed one in Picasa to hang here in the blog.


f/5.6, 1/160 sec, ISO 400, 98 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.05
In beautiful sunshine we gardened all morning and of course, late this afternoon the clouds covered the sky and a sea fog hung about! However, we went chasing birds but I had to use a very high ISO to get any semblance of speed needed for birds. The only ones I had in focus were the ones where they stayed still for a split second, despite the fact I had the continuous shutter release going. It was a pity because the striated pardalotes are now feeding young in their hollows and a procession of dragonflies, insects and grubs were taken in as well as some with this white stuff which we were unable to work out what it was.


f/5.6, 1/320 sec, ISO 2000, 300 mm focal length,
Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
I had started out with a f/6.3 and an ISO of 1000 which gave me a speed of only 1/160 sec which, even when seemingly still, was not clear enough as can be see in this shot [which shows the tiny size of the bird and a mouthful of dragonfly], which is why I upped the ante to get the above clearer shot.

f/6.3, 1/160 sec, ISO 1000, 300 mm focal length,
Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.11.06
It rained overnight ... and kept on this morning! By lunchtime it was humid, muggy and rather awful but the rain had ceased for a while. I popped the macro lens on the camera and put it on the tripod because the air was still and I was going to be able to get the dof I wanted with my flowers covered in raindrops.


f/36, 1/8 sec (tripod), ISO 200, 60 mm macro lens,
matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Cloudy
2012.11.07
With the USA election speeches being on, I didn't get out with the camera until late this evening, just prior to sunset ... I wanted to watch them because the speeches are the best things about the election ... it means it has ended! Why Australia has to be so inundated with the full two years of election campaigning from another country I really don't know! Anyway, I dragged my poor husband out into the back garden to take some candid shots with the portrait lens, but, having mucked around with shots of he and the scarecrow, he did have the opportunity of sitting down on one of the outdoor chairs for a bit. I love this man! :-) Now that I have this lens, I best be on the lookout for some nicer spots to take family portraits rather than in front of old tin fences!


f/3.5, 1/250 sec, ISO 100, 35 mm portrait lens,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.08
We explored a bit of bushland beside the Forth River at Turners Beach this afternoon, a spot Steve had been to previously but was new for me, before going onto the beach itself. Today had been beautifully sunny but there were clouds building in the south. I liked the contrast of the brilliant blue sky, the thick white clouds and the greens of the bush and grasses. I used the Nikkor 18-105 lens that came with Steve's new camera, a much better range of focal length than the 18-55  kit lens that came with my camera.


f/22, 1/60 sec, ISO 100, 35 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.09
Early this evening we went down to the Bluff because there was a marvellous array of clouds, some laden and overspilling with rain, others white and gigantically fluffy. I had fun with the wide angle lens taking in the coastal scenery and the clouds. however, I was also learning and one thing I learnt was that one cannot use the lighthouse as foreground when it is on the side of the frame when using the wide-angle! I had a couple of shots with the leaning tower on the Bluff! However, when it is more central to the shot, whether landscape of portrait like this it does not distort in the same way!

f/14, 1/125 sec, ISO 200, 10 mm focal length,
matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.10
We went for a late afternoon drive along some country roads behind Ulverstone and then out onto the Motton-Riana road through Gunns Plains on a gloriously sunny Spring day. This is the Leven River that runs through Gunns Plains. We say platypus in the river and striated pardalotes nesting in holes in the river bank. Steve was down on the river's edge trying to get a shot of the parents going in and out but they were just too quick! A very peaceful rural scene!


f/11, 1/320 sec, ISO 200, 50 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.11
Tonight's effort is rather poor. We'd had a very full day and got home at about 4.30 but had to wait for someone who said she was coming at 6.00 so we knew we couldn't go anywhere. A friend rang just before 6.00 as there were whales off Coles Beach. I stayed home waiting and Steve went down. At seven he rang me and said I should come down despite the fact the lady hadn't come. The whales had moved a bit further east and were playing off the Bluff, so I hopped in the car and went. Got there but no SD card so I spent some time watching after I borrowed Steve's SD card but my 300 lens was not really big enough. By the time we came home it was 7.45 and still very light, not quite sunset [love Tassie's twilight in Daylight Savings] so I upped the ISO, left the WB on Sunny and took some of the rhododendron around the side of the house that is just opening it's first florets.


f/5, 1/50 sec, ISO 1250, 135 mm focal length,
Spot metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.12
We went for a walk out at Warrawee again this afternoon ... it is one of our favourite spots! There were not as many wrens as normal but we found out why. They are creating nests so are pretty busy hiding away. This little female had found some soft furnishings for the nest she and the blue male superb fairy wren were building in the grass tussock below this rock. As it seemed quite a clear shot with as close as I could get to it with my lens, I decided to crop, do some colour and contrast balance and border and added text all on Picasa, just to see the difference it made.


f/7.1,1/2000 sec, ISO 800, 300 mm focal length,
Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny


2012.11.13
I had to stay home today and do a lot of work, including making my Christmas cake using a wonderful old recipe, and so I took a shot of the cake before it went into the oven. To tidy it up a bit, I popped a border and text on using Picasa.


f/11, 1/20 sec, ISO 800, 35mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.11.14
Steve and I had a lovely walk on Moorland Beach at low tide early this evening. I watched a rather greedy seagull keep others away from his patch while he caught 3 different fish, played with them, shook them, stretched them and then swallowed them. This was the smallest of his meals, the other two being quite large fish. I had one great shot [not this one] where I realise now that I needed an f stop of 7.1 rather then 5.6 so that the whole bird was in focus. I had also forgotten to change the WB to sunny and, while this shot was still on Auto, I did remember to change for later shots and where I also upped the ISO to 400 for faster shots. Steve had his ISO on 800 and the much greater speed ensured that the clarity of speed shots was almost perfect. It really is a learning game still!


f/5.6, 1/1250 sec, ISO 250, 300 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.11.15
I had medical tests in Burnie today and afterwards we went for meanders along one of the beaches  and through Fernglade, a bush oasis beside the Emu River almost in the middle of town. I had the wide-angle on at the beach and I changed the ADL setting to High contrast because of the brilliance of the light.. Who wouldn't want to have scenes like this in the middle of their town? For all you Cadbury chocolate lovers, the big building on the highway on the right of the shot is their milk processing plant for the wonderful dairies of the north west coast and which then goes into your "cup and a half" :-)


f/22, 1/100 sec, ISO 100, 10 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.16
It was late this afternoon that we went to Don Heads and it was very low tide. Although I had on my kit 55-300 lens, I tried some landscapes with foreground. After a while I realised there were old wooden pylons on the rocky river edge and so I made my way across there and took some shots, including a B&W one. I then went back and found a similar imagine in colour and changed it in camera to B&W, three grades of sepia and three grades of cyanotype. The first shot is the B&W with the camera set to that;  the second is the lightest grade of sepia which was changed in camera.


f/22, 1/400 sec, ISO 800, 62 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
Shot in Black and White

f/22, 1/400 sec, ISO 800, 58 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
[Shot in Standard colour and changed to sepia in camera]
2012.11.17
Having gardened for a number of hours, we went out to Warrawee again late this afternoon and I went hunting birds. I was extremely fortunate to find, close to my head a tiny Scrubtit, a very shy endemic bird.


f/7.1, 1/320 sec, ISO 1000, 300 mm focal length,
Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority,
WB: Sunny, ADL: High*
2012.11.18
After the second service this afternoon, Steve and I wanted a walk so we went up and across Don Heads. It was hard to believe that everything could have grown so fast in the six weeks since we last walked there. In places the grass was waist high, and, because of the warm weather, the snakes were sure to be around but fortunately we only saw one and there was still a track all the way, albeit a very narrow one! We started in brilliant sunshine and finished as the rain began! This shot was on the western end of the Heads, part way down the hill to the cove below and looking east up through the grasses to the coming rain clouds.


f/18, 1/160 sec, ISO 100, 20 mm focal length [wide angle lens],
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.19
Looking back over this month it seems to me that you might think I am obsessed with bird photography. I do enjoy it, but only when I am close enough as even the 300 is not a big enough lens [although I couldn't hold a bigger one!]. However, as Steve loves birds we often go places where birds are to be found and today was no exception. We went to the Tamar River Wetlands north of Launceston where, of course, there were many water birds, and the ever present swallows and grey fantails. I took some shots of a beautiful fantail that had actually sat on a tree trunk for a moment and sung [first photo], and because I had the continuous shutter setting [a necessity for moving birds], I captured the take off as well [second photo]. Although the second shot is not fully in focus it reminds me so much of a Japanese silk painting [minus the calligraphy] that I had to share this accidental shot. Settings are the same for both shots.



f/7.1, 1/1600 sec, ISO 400, 300 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
ADL: High*, In camera change: ADL: Normal
2012.11.20
I took a few quick shots only today, one of which was of my mauve rhododendron which has burst into flower all at once this week. It usually takes a few weeks and I've not seen it this well covered before! This was taken with my new portrait/low light Nikkor 1:1.8 35 mm lens, and, having taken this, I realise that with this lens, the f/7.1 is very different to my other lenses and hence the fence is in focus too rather than blurred. I need more practice with this lens to get correct depth of field!


f/7.1, 1/60 sec, ISO 100, 35 mm 1:1.8 lens
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.21
We went down to the Cenotaph as I wanted to do some macro shots of the flowers in the beds surrounding it this afternoon. Unfortunately the wind was blowing a gale and so I had to have the ISO higher than I wanted in order to get the speed needed with the movement. I discovered that to shoot in B&W the high ISO's lead to too much graininess. Also, unfortunately, I missed changing the white balance to Sunny until halfway through the shoot and this shot was still on Auto.

f/5.6, 1/2000 sec, ISO 400, 60 mm macro lens,
Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.11.22
I got the dreaded notice last night that I could not upload any more pictures to my blog because I had reached the 1G limit - it made me rather disheartened, so I deleted a few last night so that I can keep going, but from now on they will be reduced considerably in size and quality using Paint. Having said that, the first 6 days of this year long blog have disappeared and I did not delete them so I will go back and find what they were, reduce them and re-insert them. I had to motivate myself to go outside and take some shots this afternoon! I decided to try some macro B&W as the sun was shining brightly. This one, however was in the shade and was reduced in Paint.


f/4.5, 1/200 sec, ISO 100, 60 mm macro lens,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny



 2012.11.23
After school we put everything we needed for the next three nights into the car and headed to Stanley. Being daylight savings we went down to the beach after tea for some shots and then as the sun set on the beach, we went up to the old ruins above the beach where I took the last rays of sun on the walls. I love the feeling of expanse this shot gives. Again, minimised in Paint.


f/8, 1/20 sec [hand held leaning on a fence post], ISO 100, 20 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.24
We had a wonderful day out at Marrawah today, despite the hazy, overcast, extremely windy conditions. The sea built during the day and I was thrilled with some of the shots I took. Although this shot does not indicate the height of the waves, I hope it does show the unique beauty of the West Coast. I had to up the ISO in order to get both depth of field and action. Again, minimised in Paint.

f/13, 1/160 sec, ISO 500, 55 mm focal length,
matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto
2012.11.25
Today dawned bright, sunny and hot! After church and the monthly luncheon we took off to the Black River campgrounds for a wander along the river and on the beach. It was low tide and we were surrounded by sea birds, from the placid pelican to the squarking, squabbling seagulls (the whitebait must have been running in the lowtide river), to the baby Pied Oystercatcher remaining still and camouflaged in response to the parents' strident calls. A great afternoon!

f/8, 1/250 sec, ISO 100, 300 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny

f/9, 1/320 sec, ISO 100, 300 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny

f/7.1, 1/640 sec, ISO 100, 300 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny, ADL: High*
2012.11.26
We were going to come home via the long drive through the north-west forests but decided to drive home directly with some breaks on the way. Steve is always very tired on Mondays, and taking the two services yesterday meant no exception! We went into Sisters Beach, a relatively unknown little town to us. I would like to go back with my tripod and get this scene with a lower ISO but to hand hold, I needed this up at 500. I left the white balance on Sunny as it was fine, albeit very hazy. This shot just says, Peace, to me, and it sure has been a peaceful few days away!

f/13, 1/50 sec, ISO 500, 55 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.27
I have been busy all day, so no photos. Steve got home from a meeting very late. Hot day, so we had steak and salad outside at 8.00 p.m.. Voila, take some shots with the 35 mm 1:1.8 lens! I'm not sure what Steve was thinking with this shot, but I like it when I see the twinkle visible in his eye!


f/2.8, 1/160 sec, ISO 100, 35 mm lens
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny,
Picasa: Border and text, Paint: made small
2012.11.28
After school Steve and I went down to the Don River for a little while. I wanted to experiment with B&W and ADL settings and the muddy river flats with the low tide trickle worked well for contrast and interest.


f/11, 1/125 sec, ISO 400, 62 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny,
ADL: Extra High
2012.11.29
We went for a car ramble through the back roads of beautiful, fertile farming land this afternoon. Hope this whets your appetite to explore this beautiful island!


f/14, 1/160 sec, ISO 200, 12 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny
2012.11.30
I decide I'd like to try fireworks shots as it was the Devonport Show today and they have a short fireworks display at 9.00 p.m. and so, without having decided on a place to shoot from we went down near the Showground. I learned many lessons tonight as I had the wrong lens on, the settings I used first were for fireworks in the dark [found on tutorials on the net] and did not have a plan! When we got there it began to rain and so I couldn't work out where to shoot from and they started early, just as the rain stopped. I should have had my wide-angle lens, especially as we were so close. I had to adjust this on Picasa before minimising in Paint, but I must admit, I am looking forward to trying this again on New Year's Eve! Despite all the errors, I like the effect of this shot with the clouded sky.


f/10, 1/2 sec [tripod], ISO 400, 55 mm focal length,
Matrix metering, Manual mode, WB: Auto
Eleven months down, one to go! I became pretty disheartened when I got my "full" message and took out a few photos so that I could continue. Now that I am bringing them down in size considerably in Paint, I'll be able to finish the year. Unfortunately, I have not found the originals for the first few days of the year but I did not discover this until I had accidentally deleted the first few photos. When [If] I do find them I will minimise and redo, just so that I have a full year's record!

I hope you can see improvement in my shots as I have been on my learning journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment