2012.12.01
Steve and I had a lovely late afternoon exploring the estuary at Port Sorell, crossing the Panatana Rivulet on this walk bridge. I had the wide angle lens on and I was taking photos from differing aspects throughout the afternoon. Although I had this lined up to be exactly symmetrical, I must have pressed a bit heavily on the shutter [a bad habit of mine] and moved it slightly off centre ... but you can see the effect I was trying. Mind you, keeping upright in the wind was hard both standing up and crouching down!
![]() |
| f/22, 1/80 sec, ISO 200, 10 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.02
A very busy day resulted in this late night shot after we had been out to a birthday dinner. The sun was ready to set and was catching the small waves coming into the river as well as Steve's back. Unfortunately I forgot to change the WB to Sunny, after having it on Auto in the birthday venue.
A very busy day resulted in this late night shot after we had been out to a birthday dinner. The sun was ready to set and was catching the small waves coming into the river as well as Steve's back. Unfortunately I forgot to change the WB to Sunny, after having it on Auto in the birthday venue.
![]() |
| f/7.1, 1/125 sec, ISO 100, 35 mm portrait lens, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto |
2012.12.03
Having spent most of the day writing reports, we wandered out to Warrawee late this afternoon. The river was very low and so we were able to cross the stones to a small island where we had once seen a flame robin. There were no birds today, and we certainly were not going through the long grass as it has been warm enough for snakes. On the south side of the small island, where the floodwaters come downstream were daisies, now growing as weeds.
Having spent most of the day writing reports, we wandered out to Warrawee late this afternoon. The river was very low and so we were able to cross the stones to a small island where we had once seen a flame robin. There were no birds today, and we certainly were not going through the long grass as it has been warm enough for snakes. On the south side of the small island, where the floodwaters come downstream were daisies, now growing as weeds.
![]() |
| f/9, 1/320 sec, ISO 200, 300 mm focal length, Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.04
Last night I decorated the Christmas tree and put up the nativity scenes in our loungeroom. My breaks from writing reports today came in the form of cooking the Christmas shortbread [a family tradition] and taking some shots of the decorations. I framed and wrote text on one cropped shot from the tree using Picasa, and then minimised it with Paint. Hope you like my December sentiments!
Last night I decorated the Christmas tree and put up the nativity scenes in our loungeroom. My breaks from writing reports today came in the form of cooking the Christmas shortbread [a family tradition] and taking some shots of the decorations. I framed and wrote text on one cropped shot from the tree using Picasa, and then minimised it with Paint. Hope you like my December sentiments!
![]() |
| f/3.5, 1/25 sec [hand held], ISO 800, 35 mm 1:1.8 lens, matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto |
2012.12.05
I am part of a Facebook group that does flower photography. The lass who set this group up decided a couple of months ago that she would award a monthly prize, and last week I was gob-smacked to find that I had won the second month with a photo I had shared of one of the roses in my side garden. This afternoon when I got home from school the prize had arrived. It was like an early Christmas present! Wanting to say thank you in a tangible way, I took the book, the calendar and the card outside and placed them on the organ stool covered with a tablecloth. I added a potted plant to the table which I positioned in front of one of the vegetable beds. I then shared this Thank you to the site. I reckon I am a pretty lucky girl, don't you?
I am part of a Facebook group that does flower photography. The lass who set this group up decided a couple of months ago that she would award a monthly prize, and last week I was gob-smacked to find that I had won the second month with a photo I had shared of one of the roses in my side garden. This afternoon when I got home from school the prize had arrived. It was like an early Christmas present! Wanting to say thank you in a tangible way, I took the book, the calendar and the card outside and placed them on the organ stool covered with a tablecloth. I added a potted plant to the table which I positioned in front of one of the vegetable beds. I then shared this Thank you to the site. I reckon I am a pretty lucky girl, don't you?
![]() |
| f/25, 1/160 sec, ISO 200, 20 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
This is the rose with which I won this prize. It was taken on 17th November in the side garden. To say that I am chuffed is an understatement!
![]() |
| f/14, 1/320 sec, ISO 500, 60 mm macro lens, Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.06
Tonight was our choir's end of year dinner together and so I took the camera to find some Christmas lights afterwards. I had read some information and watched two videos on line prior to leaving so that I'd have some tips on how to take the lights. However, the one I am adding is not the lights on houses but the lights on our river. The tide was flowing out quite rapidly which, of course, gives the lovely streakiness on the water.
Tonight was our choir's end of year dinner together and so I took the camera to find some Christmas lights afterwards. I had read some information and watched two videos on line prior to leaving so that I'd have some tips on how to take the lights. However, the one I am adding is not the lights on houses but the lights on our river. The tide was flowing out quite rapidly which, of course, gives the lovely streakiness on the water.
![]() |
| f/5.6, 30 sec, ISO 400, 20 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Manual Mode, WB: Tungsten |
2012.12.07
Sunset clashed with Steve's one show of the week he likes on TV so I opted to stay home and not chase Christmas lights tonight. I took the 35 mm lens out into the back yard very late , just before sunset and took some shots, but being the end of an exhausting week I did some mucking around with one in Picasa. Here is the original, followed by the mucking around one!
Sunset clashed with Steve's one show of the week he likes on TV so I opted to stay home and not chase Christmas lights tonight. I took the 35 mm lens out into the back yard very late , just before sunset and took some shots, but being the end of an exhausting week I did some mucking around with one in Picasa. Here is the original, followed by the mucking around one!
![]() |
| f/5.6, 1/40 sec, ISO 400, 35 mm f/1.8 lens Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
![]() |
| As above, Picasa changed: Tuned highlights and shadows, Used Heat map, HDR-ish, Frames and Text |
2012.12.08
Because the forecast was for rain tonight [and yes, there has been thunder rolling around the sky and the precipitation that goes with that] I decided to take the camera down to the Don Reserve while I went for a walk while Steve went for a run. I found these dead leaves fallen down and caught in these interesting broken twigs with gumnuts, ... I love the art one finds naturally!
Because the forecast was for rain tonight [and yes, there has been thunder rolling around the sky and the precipitation that goes with that] I decided to take the camera down to the Don Reserve while I went for a walk while Steve went for a run. I found these dead leaves fallen down and caught in these interesting broken twigs with gumnuts, ... I love the art one finds naturally!
![]() |
| f/5.6, 1/100 sec, ISO 500, 105 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.09
Late this afternoon/early evening we went down to the beach for Steve to take a shot of a boat that had sat off Devonport all day and while we there we saw the Port Security Pilot boat heading out to sea. We went rapidly down to the river in time to see the two tugs going out and they say just off the river mouth while the Spirit of Tasmania steamed out. The tugs then came up alongside this ship and escorted her into port. She is pretty big, and as it was high tide and the SPOT had left there was room to turn her and berth her. By then it was nearly sunset. Unfortunately I had left the WB on Auto and it probably is not as golden glowy as it actually was that late at night!
Late this afternoon/early evening we went down to the beach for Steve to take a shot of a boat that had sat off Devonport all day and while we there we saw the Port Security Pilot boat heading out to sea. We went rapidly down to the river in time to see the two tugs going out and they say just off the river mouth while the Spirit of Tasmania steamed out. The tugs then came up alongside this ship and escorted her into port. She is pretty big, and as it was high tide and the SPOT had left there was room to turn her and berth her. By then it was nearly sunset. Unfortunately I had left the WB on Auto and it probably is not as golden glowy as it actually was that late at night!
![]() |
| f/11, 1/500 sec, ISO 400, 66 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB Auto |
2012.12.10
When I was gardening in the early evening I moved the head of a King Protea that I had dead-headed and left as mulch quite a while back and all the seeds [think giant dandelion seeds, but black] fell out, leaving this amazing centre piece.
When I was gardening in the early evening I moved the head of a King Protea that I had dead-headed and left as mulch quite a while back and all the seeds [think giant dandelion seeds, but black] fell out, leaving this amazing centre piece.
![]() |
| f/13, 1/25 sec, ISO 400, 60 mm macro lens, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.11
Tonight was the third night we had gone out for a little while to see the pretty lights in different parts of the town. Because we were so late, we missed the ambient light that is best [hence the blackness of the sky], but at least I remembered to turn to manual mode tonight so I could set the shutter speed! This street had four neighbours all decked out in lights but I needed to be about half an hour earlier.
Tonight was the third night we had gone out for a little while to see the pretty lights in different parts of the town. Because we were so late, we missed the ambient light that is best [hence the blackness of the sky], but at least I remembered to turn to manual mode tonight so I could set the shutter speed! This street had four neighbours all decked out in lights but I needed to be about half an hour earlier.
![]() |
| f/3.5, 2 sec [tripod], ISO 800, 18 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Manual mode, WB: Tungsten |
2012.12.12
Yesterday I picked a rose, some buds and some filler flowers [I do not know what they are called] to make an arrangement because we were having people over for dinner. This afternoon I took the vase onto the back verandah and took a photo of it. I used spot focus.
Yesterday I picked a rose, some buds and some filler flowers [I do not know what they are called] to make an arrangement because we were having people over for dinner. This afternoon I took the vase onto the back verandah and took a photo of it. I used spot focus.
![]() |
| f/10, 1/80 sec, ISO 100, 52 mm focal length, Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.13
I had hoped to see the meteor shower tonight but the cloud cover has come and so I tried some self portraits in the Christmas Baubles late tonight. I didn't use flash but found that I couldn't hold myself still enough with the aperture I needed for good depth of field - hence the out of focus areas. However, it is fun to find myself, camera, ironing board and lounge-room all in a bauble!
I had hoped to see the meteor shower tonight but the cloud cover has come and so I tried some self portraits in the Christmas Baubles late tonight. I didn't use flash but found that I couldn't hold myself still enough with the aperture I needed for good depth of field - hence the out of focus areas. However, it is fun to find myself, camera, ironing board and lounge-room all in a bauble!
![]() |
| f/7.1, 0.62 sec, ISO 640, 60 mm macro lens, Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Tungsten |
2012.12.14
I tried the self portraits in a bauble again tonight. A friend had suggested that I up the ISO so that I could remain still enough to get the dof needed but in a shorter time. I did a few of those and it definitely was much, much better and not grainy. I then decided to get out the remote shutter release and move away from the tripod and position myself for the shot to still be a "selfie". This time I took the ISO back down.
I tried the self portraits in a bauble again tonight. A friend had suggested that I up the ISO so that I could remain still enough to get the dof needed but in a shorter time. I did a few of those and it definitely was much, much better and not grainy. I then decided to get out the remote shutter release and move away from the tripod and position myself for the shot to still be a "selfie". This time I took the ISO back down.
![]() |
| f/14, 6 sec, ISO 125, 60 mm macro lens, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Tungsten |
2012.12.15
Amidst the chaos of finding our freezer door ajar and having to throw some things out but cooking everything else up so that it could then be frozen as cooked rather than raw, I escaped to the garden for 10 minutes early this evening, with the macro lens set to a spot focus and I took some shots of flowers that are out. I do not know what this flower is, and I know it is awkwardly off-centre, but I love the fact that this is straight out of the camera without being touched [except to be made small for here] and it has the effect of being vignetted!
Amidst the chaos of finding our freezer door ajar and having to throw some things out but cooking everything else up so that it could then be frozen as cooked rather than raw, I escaped to the garden for 10 minutes early this evening, with the macro lens set to a spot focus and I took some shots of flowers that are out. I do not know what this flower is, and I know it is awkwardly off-centre, but I love the fact that this is straight out of the camera without being touched [except to be made small for here] and it has the effect of being vignetted!
![]() |
| f/7.1, 1/60 sec, ISO 500, 60 mm macro lens, Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.16
Just before sunset time the light inside the house turned an amazing colour which I presumed was from the sky, so I grabbed the camera on the tripod and rushed outside. There was a beautiful vivid double rainbow but I had my macro lens on the camera still, so I rushed back in and changed to the wide-angle. Of course the rainbow was not as vivid and no longer a double when I got back outside, but I took some shots anyway.
![]() |
| f/18, 1/15 sec, ISO 800, 14 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.17
This month seems to be hard to find the time for this project. I had about 15 minutes in which to find a shot for today before our staff dinner tonight! Fortunately the gerberas on the back verandah made a handy subject. This is slightly cropped as I had got the edge of a blue pot in the top right hand corner, probably not noticeable, but it was by me so I got rid of it.
This month seems to be hard to find the time for this project. I had about 15 minutes in which to find a shot for today before our staff dinner tonight! Fortunately the gerberas on the back verandah made a handy subject. This is slightly cropped as I had got the edge of a blue pot in the top right hand corner, probably not noticeable, but it was by me so I got rid of it.
![]() |
| f/9, 1/400 sec, ISO 800, 105 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.18
I noticed as I looked out of the window just prior to sunset that there were many interesting clouds in the sky so we went to the beach in search of an interesting sunset. Despite the fact that a few clouds got in the way of a spectacularly fiery sky happening, there were still some interesting reflections on the low tide beach. I was taking shots at f/22 but a lady and her dog were moving faster than the shutter and therefore left a ghostly image across the scene. I wondered how a shot on f/5.3 or f/7.1 would go, and this is the result. Unfortunately the tripod was sinking into the sand and I have had to straighten the image!
I noticed as I looked out of the window just prior to sunset that there were many interesting clouds in the sky so we went to the beach in search of an interesting sunset. Despite the fact that a few clouds got in the way of a spectacularly fiery sky happening, there were still some interesting reflections on the low tide beach. I was taking shots at f/22 but a lady and her dog were moving faster than the shutter and therefore left a ghostly image across the scene. I wondered how a shot on f/5.3 or f/7.1 would go, and this is the result. Unfortunately the tripod was sinking into the sand and I have had to straighten the image!
![]() |
| f/5.3, 1/13 sec, ISO 100, 17 mm focal length, matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.19
I have spent nearly all day sewing two little sundresses for the two little girls in our lives, our two precious granddaughters. Because of all the small pieces, they were rather time-consuming, but definitely worth it. I'm sure they'll both love getting them on Christmas morning. I only finished the hand-sewing just in time to take a snap for today's contribution. This literally is a snap, flash and all! I had to hang the dresses somewhere and the thermostat above the nativity scene was perfect. This snap then, represents Christmas for me ... the Christmas story is pivotal to our family's day and in fact, presents do not get opened until after we have been to worship and secondly, our family will be with us to celebrate and how wonderful it is to be able to make gifts for them.
I have spent nearly all day sewing two little sundresses for the two little girls in our lives, our two precious granddaughters. Because of all the small pieces, they were rather time-consuming, but definitely worth it. I'm sure they'll both love getting them on Christmas morning. I only finished the hand-sewing just in time to take a snap for today's contribution. This literally is a snap, flash and all! I had to hang the dresses somewhere and the thermostat above the nativity scene was perfect. This snap then, represents Christmas for me ... the Christmas story is pivotal to our family's day and in fact, presents do not get opened until after we have been to worship and secondly, our family will be with us to celebrate and how wonderful it is to be able to make gifts for them.
![]() |
| f/22, 1/60, ISO 500, 19 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Flash |
2012.12.20
Because it had rained yesterday we did not get the raspberries picked and I got a punnet full this evening. I had not thought we'd have any before Christmas so it is lovely to be getting them already. With green and red being the predominant colours of Christmas things I popped the punnet on the grass for red and green. In Tassie raspberries are the taste of summer; the taste of Christmas time!
Because it had rained yesterday we did not get the raspberries picked and I got a punnet full this evening. I had not thought we'd have any before Christmas so it is lovely to be getting them already. With green and red being the predominant colours of Christmas things I popped the punnet on the grass for red and green. In Tassie raspberries are the taste of summer; the taste of Christmas time!
![]() |
| f/4, 1/30 sec, ISO 200, 35 mm lens, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.21
I was so busy today that I nearly forgot a photo but at nearly 10.00 p.m. we headed out. Because I was going to be taking lights I needed a lens which would give me a wide open aperture, but as it is, the shot I have chose has not got a very small f-stop. Our cenotaph is lit up at night and when I had the WB on fluorescent it was good colouring. We walked down to the river with the lights reflecting on it for some shots after I had finished at the cenotaph, but then as we were going back to the car I spied the cenotaph without the glare of the lights. Unfortunately I must have changed the WB to auto when at the river's edge and I forgot to change it back, so it is a bit too yellow.
I was so busy today that I nearly forgot a photo but at nearly 10.00 p.m. we headed out. Because I was going to be taking lights I needed a lens which would give me a wide open aperture, but as it is, the shot I have chose has not got a very small f-stop. Our cenotaph is lit up at night and when I had the WB on fluorescent it was good colouring. We walked down to the river with the lights reflecting on it for some shots after I had finished at the cenotaph, but then as we were going back to the car I spied the cenotaph without the glare of the lights. Unfortunately I must have changed the WB to auto when at the river's edge and I forgot to change it back, so it is a bit too yellow.
![]() |
| f/7.1, 6 sec [tripod and remote shutter release], ISO 200, 60 mm macro lens, Matrix metering, Manual mode, WB: Auto |
2012.12.22
Another day that got away from me! A very late shot in the darkened lounge-room with a spot focus using my Nikon 35 mm f/1.8 lens. The first of the family to arrive here for Christmas.
Another day that got away from me! A very late shot in the darkened lounge-room with a spot focus using my Nikon 35 mm f/1.8 lens. The first of the family to arrive here for Christmas.
![]() |
| f/1.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 1600, 35 mm lens, Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto |
2012.12.23
Our four grandchildren arrived up here this afternoon with their mummy and daddy. A great afternoon of games was had by all. This is playing "What's the time Mr Wolf?"
Our four grandchildren arrived up here this afternoon with their mummy and daddy. A great afternoon of games was had by all. This is playing "What's the time Mr Wolf?"
![]() |
| f/9, 1/640 sec, ISO 500, 80 mm focal length, Centre-weighted average metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.24
What a day! The last of our children to be able to spend Christmas with us arrived today and now there are seven adults, four children and one dog in the house. All our stockings are hung across the doorway frame. This is a snap ... I have had no other time today having cooked all day.
What a day! The last of our children to be able to spend Christmas with us arrived today and now there are seven adults, four children and one dog in the house. All our stockings are hung across the doorway frame. This is a snap ... I have had no other time today having cooked all day.
![]() |
| f/5.6, 1/25, ISO 1000, 55mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto |
2012.12.25
After church this morning it was present time. It was also family snap time! There are better photos but I loved the sparkling eyes on my youngest grandchild when playing with the soft toy her great grandmother sent for her. Her eyes depicted the joy and wonder of children.
![]() |
| f/2.8, 1/160 sec, ISO 1000, 35 mm lens, Spot focus, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto |
2012.12.26
Before our youngest headed back this evening he took his dog for a run on the dog beach. I had been feeling pretty crook with almost no sleep last night [I must have managed to get a piece of gluten into me somehow] and I knew I needed some fresh air so I went down to take some shots of the dog playing. I had my 55-300 lens on, set to very high shutter speeds to catch the action and I had so much fun! These two are not of action but of shadows and reflections.
![]() |
| f/5.6, 1/2000 sec, ISO 250, 105 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
![]() |
| f/7.1, 1/2500 sec, ISO 250, 72 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.27
We took our eldest and his girlfriend up to Cradle Mountain today and a spectacular day was had by all. Because Lara is from WA we gave her an overview of the place which afforded me the opportunity of using my wide angle lens to capture the incredible scenery as it is a new acquisition since we last were there.
![]() |
| f/11, 1/100 sec, ISO 100, 10 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.28
As the last of the family left today to return to their own homes, I thought that tonight I would take the tree down and pack it away. Before doing so, I took a shot of it now that the space around it is empty of gifts, and the cherished memories of the family gathering are just that ... memories.
As the last of the family left today to return to their own homes, I thought that tonight I would take the tree down and pack it away. Before doing so, I took a shot of it now that the space around it is empty of gifts, and the cherished memories of the family gathering are just that ... memories.
![]() |
| f/3.2, 1/50 sec, ISO 640, 35 mm lens, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Auto |
2012.12.29
We headed out to Narawntapu today to have an overnight camp. It was hot and there were far more people there than we have ever seen, but it was peaceful and a perfect way to unwind from the busyness of the past few weeks. A good long walk in the afternoon was greatly appreciated. We saw the full moon coming up later in the evening and took the camera onto the beach to see how a shot of it would go.
2012.12.30
The penultimate day of my 366 day challenge. This image is not the best I took today, but definitely the most exciting. The dragonflies were buzzing everywhere and I was thrilled that I actually stopped this by being focussed, rather than just being a blur!
We headed out to Narawntapu today to have an overnight camp. It was hot and there were far more people there than we have ever seen, but it was peaceful and a perfect way to unwind from the busyness of the past few weeks. A good long walk in the afternoon was greatly appreciated. We saw the full moon coming up later in the evening and took the camera onto the beach to see how a shot of it would go.
![]() |
| f/11, 5 sec [tripod], ISO 800, 62 mm focal length, Aperture priority, WB: Auto |
The penultimate day of my 366 day challenge. This image is not the best I took today, but definitely the most exciting. The dragonflies were buzzing everywhere and I was thrilled that I actually stopped this by being focussed, rather than just being a blur!
![]() |
| f/11, 1/500 sec, ISO 1250, 300 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Aperture priority, WB: Sunny |
2012.12.31
And so the year's journey comes to an end and what more fitting way than with New Year's fireworks. I had planned to use one from the early fireworks at 9.45 pm but I did not like any of them. I came home and sent out an SOS to my Facebook photography friends and realised that my camera had an Auto ISO set and the camera was automatically changing from ISO 100 to ISO 6400! So this photo technically was taken after midnight, but it is being counted as we have daylight Savings and by the sun it was not yet 2013.
Thanks for the feedback I have received during this year long journey. I have learned a lot but I have also learned that I have much, much more to learn! It has been a lot of fun, and I do intend to continue my photographic journey, but not a photo a day blog! Bless all those who have helped me along the way and especially my long-suffering husband who has gone with me even to places where he has not wanted to take photos. I love him dearly and together we are sharing a love for photography! Goodbye for now!
And so the year's journey comes to an end and what more fitting way than with New Year's fireworks. I had planned to use one from the early fireworks at 9.45 pm but I did not like any of them. I came home and sent out an SOS to my Facebook photography friends and realised that my camera had an Auto ISO set and the camera was automatically changing from ISO 100 to ISO 6400! So this photo technically was taken after midnight, but it is being counted as we have daylight Savings and by the sun it was not yet 2013.
![]() |
| f/10, 4 sec [tripod and remote shutter release], ISO 100, 20 mm focal length, Matrix metering, Manual mode, WB: Tungsten |

































+small.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment